Jul 1, 2019
Have you been wanting to maximize your results with a trade show
association or if you are an association do you want to help your
exhibitors get better ROI by exhibiting at your show? In this
Bauler,CEM and Corporate Relations & Exhibits Director at
American Association of
Critical-Care Nurses(AACN) shares advice about how to take your
events to the next level in exposition education, booth space
selection, sponsorship and how you can join an exhibitor advisory
Exposition Education:Opportunity to provide CE
credit to attendees in a theater setting.
- AACN offers 51 theaters, 200 topics that are presented 650
times over the course of the show.
- Exhibitors that include KOL’s (Key Opinion Leaders) to present
content generate the best
- Conferences that offer CE credits on the show floor like AACN
provide the opportunity for attendees to stay current (in the case
of AACN, nurses can put CE credits towards renewing their
- Attendees want to learn and get education along with hands-on
applications. Associations that offer CE credits on the show floor
provide exhibitors a way to draw attendees to their exhibit and
interact with them in a “non” sales format.
- Healthcare conferences for nurses enable attendees to become
educated on the show floor and take the knowledge back to their
hospitals and share it with other nurses.
Selecting an Exhibit Space:You can often select
next year’s space while at the show.
- Evaluate opportunities and consider a position near learning
centers or special sponsored areas like the Rest and Relaxation
area at AACN.
- How you bring traffic to your exhibit is more important than
focusing on selecting a strategic location.
- Associations get attendees to the show-what do you do to drive
traffic to your booth?
- Priority Point System is based on an accumulation of key
criteria. Exhibitors earn points based on the size of the booth (1
point for every 100 feet of space at AACN). In addition,
history/loyalty points matter. Points for
advertising/sponsorship, year-round support also play a part.
AACN also offers points if you stay in their housing block.
Sponsorship opportunities:You have the ability
to explore options outside of what is offered.
- Customize a sponsorship to achieve greater exposure to the
attendee. Most exhibitors say “let me see your list of
opportunities- what can we do to customize” and work with the
association to develop the best offering.
- Engagement with attendee is more important than exposure. An
example Randy shared is that while nurses are waiting for their
seated message at the Rest and Relaxation lounge, the sponsoring
company has greeters to interact with attendees, getting to know
them and work the line before the nurse gets their message.
- Receptions offer an additional opportunity to interact and
engage with attendees and the host company is encouraged to mingle
and make connections. At AACN, a sponsoring company is able to have
senior management speak for a few moments. Products can be on
display at a sponsored reception giving companies a second
opportunity to engage with attendees.
Ways to Get Involved with Associations: Join an
- Most shows have an exhibitor advisory council or committee-they
invite representatives to talk about the event.
- Being on the EAC (Exhibitor Advisory Council) gives companies
the chance to increase visibility in the industry and gain
- At AACN the only purpose is to make the experience better for
exhibitors and attendees.
Favorite Resource:HCEA-Healthcare Convention and
In healthcare it is a unique organization that includes
exhibitors, show management and suppliers together. The HCEA
events enable attendees to meet with peers, customers, potential
customers and suppliers to the industry.
If you have any questions about this episode, reach out to me, I
love hearing from you!
A big thank you to Randy Bauler for doing a two-part
Editing Credits: As always, a big thanks
to Christy Haussler with Team
Podcastfor editing this episode.