Aug 28, 2017
Have you wanted to gain experience or give back by volunteering
but hesitated because of the time commitment? Amy Lotz,
Executive Director for the Healthcare Exhibitors and Convention
Association (HCEA) was interviewed live at HCEAConnect and shares
how the association is engaging with members in a new way by
If you want to get more experience in your career, and are an
Association or want to give back but have limited time this is the
episode for you!
Best Practices And Inside Tips from HCEA
Micro-Volunteering- Small Time Commitment with Big
- Gain career experience by trying out smaller time commitment
activities like social media posting
- Get involved with a CSR project onsite to give back and
- Volunteer during the conference. It is an excellent way to meet
- HCEA offers volunteers a first-timer match up where current
members reach out to first-time attendees and connect with them
- Become a Round Table Leader and help attendees share ideas
- Try something new and gain experiential leadership. It is a
great way to explore something outside of your scope to see if you
When you are ready to step it up you can join a committee and
learn the organization. By joining a committee it is the
first step to taking a possible board role.
Keynotes and Education-A Format That Engages
- Conference agenda includes fresh content and interesting topics
to help attendees feel value for their time attending the
- Round Table discussions provide an opportunity where attendees
can share best practices with peers in their field.
- Different presentation style-TedTalk like formats keeps things
interesting in educational sessions.
- Networking is an important part of the conference offering.
HCEA has three member types, Healthcare companies, associations,
industry partners and all like to meet each other at this
Exhibit Floor Experience-How to Add Value
- Exhibitors are integrated into the educational and professional
- One exhibitor offered free headshots for online attendee
- A new Tech Hub area where volunteers talk for 15 minutes in a
campfire environment. Topics included how to use Twitter, set up
your LinkedIn profile for your career and engage and increase ROI
on the show floor.
Having a Great Support Staff-Makes a Big
- HCEA is supported by an association management company, MCI USA
for the past two years.
- Customer Service is important and accessibility and response
time helps ensure overall satisfaction.
- Staff also works on other groups and can transfer ideas from
- The staff recognizes that attendees at HCEA like to have a good
time-try to make sure there are fun evening activity.
Association Trends-Managing Change
- Membership is on the decline for most associations so there are
other non-dues revenue sales
- Online learning getting information to stakeholder
- Member Engagement-the more engaged-more likely
Staying Balanced-Strategies for the Road
- Take breaks, even if only for a few minutes to re-charge.
- Stay connected with home while away makes things easier.
- As a leader of a team, or group making sure everyone
understands they are there to help each other reduces stress.
If you have a question about anything you heard on this episode,
reach out to me,
I love hearing from you! And if you want to check out the entire
HCEA series or other podcasts go to www.rockyourtradeshow.com
Healthcare Exhibitor and Convention Association www.hcea.org
Association Management Company MCI USA www.mciusa.com
HCEA Executive Director Amy Lotz
Big thanks to Christy Haussler and Team Podcast for editing this